How to cook STEAKHOUSE POTATO GRATIN


 In the event that you have made a potato gratin at home and it tasted great yet you wound up with a watery sauce you will need to peruse and find how you can make the BEST ever gratin at home. I have at last had a light second, did some exploration, and made the best gratin I have made in my kitchen yesterday and am super eager to impart this to all of you.

It's very conceivable that my niece's better half who was a culinary specialist had given me this mystery to making the ideal steakhouse quality potato gratin yet some way or another my psyche didn't get a handle on it. Over the course of the end of the week we had a birthday festivity for my sister at a notable steak house chain, Ruth Chris and I requested their potato gratin. It was great yet it actually didn't coordinate to Jared's Christmas Potato dish he makes for the occasion. From that point forward all I could imagine was making a potato gratin at home. Each time I've made one the potatoes leaked their water (as vegetables have bunches of it) and I continued to feel that perhaps I ought to standard heat up just a tad. To be certain I was in good shape I took to the web to figure out exactly the way in which you do this.


My most memorable sense was to get a strategy from Anne Burrell of the Food Organization and when that didn't yield what I was searching for I had a light second. Tom Colicchio of Top Culinary expert claims Art Steak and in one of the seasons competitor Antonia made a potato gratin to oblige the steak she decided for that specific test. Then, at that point, my exploration changed to Tom and I found his technique he utilizes for a potato gratin in a recipe he submitted to Food and Wine Magazine. Simply perusing the recipe I realized I would be doing great so off to the store I went to acquire potatoes and some weighty cream.


The way in to the achievement is stewing the potatoes in weighty cream and afterward lessening the cream. What happens is the potatoes free their water while stewing in the cream then when you bubble and decrease it, the water vanishes. What you end up with is the most heavenly steakhouse style potato gratin and it's simply staggering. The potatoes are cooked flawlessly and you have a marvelous sauce that keeps on thickening a little as it cooks yet keeps a smooth surface.

Kindly note the size I utilized was a 8 x 8 square baking dish and the recipe is enough for four segments, more in the event that you have little ones. I additionally believe you should realize that my better half so adored this, that he ate two exceptionally enormous bits. That being said there isn't greatly left! You can twofold this recipe and make it in a bigger baking dish. Mine was around two layers and simply enough (or so I thought) for both of us!



2 large russet potatoes (1.29#)

1 pint heavy cream

1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese - split

salt to taste

black pepper to taste

cooking spray


The potatoes simmer in the cream to perfection!


I used the 1/4 inch blade of my food processor to cut the potatoes after I peeled them. If you don't own a food processor, scrub the potatoes clean, peel them and cut them in 1/4" slices.

Add the sliced potatoes to the heavy cream along with a good pinch of salt and black pepper. I used probably 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.

Bring the cream up to a simmer over medium heat and just when it has tiny bubbles around the edges turn the heat down and simmer the potatoes for about 15 minutes.

Have your casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray (helps with clean up) and a large slotted spoon at the ready.

When the potatoes have simmered for the 15 minutes, turn the heat off and using a slotted spoon remove the potatoes to your casserole dish trying not to take too much cream with you. Smooth the potatoes out into a layer. Salt and pepper that layer to taste.

Add in a second layer of the potatoes and repeat with salt and pepper.

Turn your attention back to the cream. Add in the 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and bring the cream up to a boil over medium high heat and keep stirring the whole time. What you want to do is reduce the cream. Boil for about 5-7 minutes stirring constantly.

Pour the cream over the potatoes and add some shredded cheese on top. Cover the dish with foil. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Here's a good visual of how much this made and when dinner was done there wasn't much left! It's that good. It really is that good.