Some people are only now realizing what the “WC” sign stands for on washrooms



Since I have a strong personal preference for avocados and incorporate them into almost every single aspect of my life (even though my children absolutely do not share my liking for them, which just means I get to enjoy the whole, glorious batch all to myself!), I always use a little post-encounter self-care to reset my nervous system after a household surprise.
Once I have safely closed the door to the room the snake is in and called a local wildlife professional to handle it, I head to the kitchen to ground myself with my go-to 3-Ingredient Calming Avocado & Cucumber Bites. It’s a simple, heart-healthy, hydrating way to support my vascular health and melt away any lingering adrenaline.

Ingredients You’ll Need:

  • ½ large, ripe avocado: The creamy, heart-healthy foundation packed with monounsaturated fats.
  • ½ cup fresh cucumber, finely diced: For a cooling, hydrating crunch that naturally helps lower body temperature and stress.
  • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice & a tiny pinch of flaky sea salt: The lemon provides a bright hit of Vitamin C, which is absolutely essential for building strong collagen to keep capillary walls flexible and resilient.

Step-by-Step Instructions:

  1. The Gentle Mash: In a small bowl, gently mash the avocado with the fresh lemon juice and sea salt, then fold in the diced cucumber.
  2. The Mindful Moment: As I enjoy this with my warm tea, I take five slow, deep breaths. I remind myself that my home is safe, the professionals are on their way, and I am entirely in control of my environment.
  3. The Daily Habit: The healthy fats in the avocado support my vascular health and help relax my blood vessels, while the cooling cucumber and warmth of the tea soothe my digestion and melt away any lingering stress.

My Farmhouse Pro-Tips for Gentle Prevention

You don’t need to live in fear of the outdoors, but a little preventative maintenance goes a long way! Here are my gentle, no-fuss rules for keeping unwanted guests at bay, honoring my mother-in-law’s golden rule of simple, effective solutions:
Seal the Perimeter: Use a simple, inexpensive silicone caulk to seal any tiny cracks around your foundation, windows, and doors. If they can’t get in, they won’t! ✅ Eliminate the Buffet: Keep your home clean and store pantry goods in airtight containers. If there are no mice or bugs for a snake to eat, your home becomes much less appealing to them. ✅ Keep the Yard Tidy: Trim back overgrown bushes, tall grass, and woodpiles near the foundation of your house. Snakes prefer to hide in cluttered, damp areas. ✅ Call a Professional: If you find a snake and are unsure of what it is, or if it is in a hard-to-reach place, simply close the door to that room and call a local animal control or wildlife removal expert. Let them do the heavy lifting safely!

A Beautiful Reminder of Coexistence and Control

I truly hope this little deep-dive brings you clarity and profound peace of mind. It is so empowering to know that we don’t have to wage war on nature or succumb to fear to keep our homes comfortable.
By staying calm, maintaining a well-sealed home, and knowing exactly who to call when we need help, we can handle any surprise with grace. And once the professionals have safely relocated our scaly friend, I can get back to what I do best: setting up interactive food bars for my family gatherings and serving meals that bring people together in peace and joy!
Have you ever had a surprising wildlife encounter in your home that you handled calmly? Or do you have a favorite, gentle home-keeping trick that brings you peace of mind? I would absolutely love to hear your wisdom! Drop a comment below to share your thoughts, and please share this article with a friend who might appreciate this gentle, practical reminder.